Luz Maria Sanchez
Mexican radio producer & visual artist
example of soundart
Interview: 10 questions
1. When did you start making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
I started doing sound artwork in 1996. My only motivation was the drive to experiment with electronic sound and it’s quality of immersive medium. My first piece was a quadraphonic piece for tape.
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
I was trained as a musician since I was 6 years old. I drop music school at 17, so I never got any «official» bachelors degree in music. But I have been working in a cultural radio station since I was 15 years old, so, there it comes my background: classical music (piano) and radio broadcasting.
3.Is making music your profession?
No. I am radio producer and I work professionally as a visual/sound artist.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles etc?
I work with sound and image in order to present brief fragments in audio/video loops, disrupting the structure of sequence/narrative, including elements of chance, in short digital platforms. My audio/visual pieces explore duration, repetition and progression using modular units of digital data that question our sense of time and space. While remaining somehow neutral these works incorporate a physical reverberation that seeks to entice the viewer. This entails a broad mapping of sounds and images, which are then digitally processed in order to define and isolate specific elements. Components of my work are arranged so as to envelop the subject in an abstract, sensorial experience while preserving a feeling of emotional urgency and physical immediacy. These qualities arise through the isolation of precise and ever-present elements from human surroundings that are then reduced to their most punctual expression.
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
I work with concrete sound, that I record from my environment, from radio broadcasting, or with language –recorded voice-. I do not work with electronic instruments. I edit all in the computer, with protools software. Recently I started experimenting with Max/MSP software.
7. How about producing and financing your musical productions?
I produce my artwork independently. Through art residencies and grants I also produce artwork.
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collaborative?
I work individually.
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
Max Neuhaus, Bernard Leitner, Michael Brewster, Cage, even Beckett (radio plays).