Interview: 10 questions
1. When did you start making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
I have been working with voice & sounds since 1992. My main motivation is/was to use and research voice without words.
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
I live in Helsinki, Finland. I don’t have any musical education.
3.Is making music your profession? What is the context in which you practice music nowadays?
I’m professional artist. I make performances, sound installations, soundscapes and music for performances, sound pieces for radio.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles etc?
My main tool is my own voice. And the basis for my vocal/sonar work is vocal improvisation.
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
I use a lot of mechanical voice manipulators, like megaphones, tubes, cans etc. In performances my equipment is as simple as possible; in studio I use computer.
6. What are the chances of New Media for the music production in general
and you personally?
If New Media means internet, it provides a wide field.
7. How about producing and financing your musical productions?
For simple work, it’s quite easy to get some funding. At least in Finland.
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collaborative?
If you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Both solo and different groups. I like both. Working solo, you don’t have to do any compromises. In group, you have other people to discuss the matters.
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
The art movements of the beginning of 20th century, and especially dada, have strong effect on my work.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a soundartist or musician?
I want to work with silence.
out of competition:
Can works of yours experienced online besides on SoundLAB? Where?
List some links & resources