Spanish sound artist
1. When did you start making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
_ I started playing music in several groups of “do it yourself “. Now a days the philosophy is the same but the aesthetic, the context and my creative worry is changed. For this piece, I was working into a sculpture and all the sounds created during the process were recorded. This sound piece is the result of my sound work for that sound-sculpture done it with those records.
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
_I live in a small fishing village with our popular songs and sounds. Sometimes I tried to study in a local music center but I have developed my sound work in a non academic way.
3.Is making music your profession? What is the context in which you practice music nowadays?
_Making music isn´t my profession but I love to play with different people and ways. I am interested into new ways of relationships, statements, accounts, exhibitions… so I practice improvised music like a way to work on.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles etc?
_I think when you pay attention to listening to environment you are composing your own music also. So is important to believe in yourself. When I compose with a software, I like to put some sounds and the listening to tell me the way to follow. Anyway I think is important to try to keep a coherent tension with abstract sounds. With silence, noise… whatever you want.
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
_ I usually play an amplifier connected to some pedals for to use the feedback as sound material. Some contact microphones, a guitar, percussion tools … time ago I used my laptop also. For this piece I used sound records did those during the process and processed later.
6. What are the chances of New Media for the music production in general
and you personally?
_Now a days I use analogue set up but new media chances me an easier way to produce my sound works.
7. How about producing and financing your musical productions?
_Sometimes I send my works to netlabels specialized in this kind of music or I send to underground music list like “arto artian.org”. But first I give it to my friends to listen to it.
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collaborative?
If you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
_Both. All my work is possible because previously I learnt by someone, so is nice the collaborative work. Anyway I prefer to work individually and give it later to another one.
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
_Oh yes! Many composer, group… most of this people are friends. People as Xabi Erkizia, Oier Iruretagoiena, Mattin, Tzesne, Xedh, Johannes Buff… and many others like Eddie Prevost, Francisco Lopez, Jean Luc Guionnet, Toshimaru Nakamura, Jason Kahn…
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a soundartist or musician?
_To have chance to play and learn with different people and into different context. A dream… to reward my effort economically.