Jane Fenton Keane
1. When did you start making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
I started making music in 1998 when I was trying to create a different kind of poetry CD.
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
I live in natural bushland surrounded by bird calls and wind and my musical education comes through working with the percussions of language.
3.Is making music your profession? What is the context in which you practice music nowadays?
Nowhere near it! I hardly ever get a chance to work with music at the moment.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles etc?
I have a very story oriented approach to creating music and sound and draw from my ecological interests. I always think about the relationship between text, sound and story and how each element can feed into the other.
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
I use a very basic computer-based composition environment, microphone and voice.
6. What are the chances of New Media for the music production in general and you personally?
In general I think they are great but for me personally, the technical know-how is a huge limitation.
7. How about producing and financing your musical productions?
Yes good question do you have any ideas?
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collaborative? If you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Some projects suit working alone and others working collaboratively. I enjoy both methods of working.
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
I tend to draw from John Cage and the European sound poets of the avant-garde.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a soundartist or musician?
To be able to get the time to extend my skills and work on the projects which are looming in my consciousness. I would like to work more with musicians because their skills help expand the realisation of concepts. I dream of doing more concerts under the stars.
Can works of yours experienced online besides on SoundLAB? Where?
Eventually I will be posting some of my earlier sound work on my web site. Most of it has been experienced on radio, CD or during live performances. Some pieces can be found on interspecies.com for the ‘belly of the whale’ project.
List some links & resources: