Wolgang Peter Menzel
is a Swedish soundartist
example of soundart
Interview: 10 questions
1. When started you making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
I do not make music, I work with sound. To start working with sounds
as artistic material has many reasons. I was curious and like to experience with different artistic material, and more important, the way I work on this field allows a combination of field work ( recording ) and computer work at home.
Sound as material means to me a greater artistic freedom, at least just now.
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
Although born in Germany Middle East Sweden has become my home.
My musical education is regular as for most of all people. In my case it is curiosity and artistic disrespect that work for me. I run the risk of failure.
3. Is making music your profession? What is the context in which you practice music nowadays ?
Working with sound has become part of it, yes. Mostly I intend to build sound collages, which even means that I am not a composer. I do not work with with any notation of music or a presumptive work but sounds. Those pieces or works sometimes sounds as if the product should sound like something musical but this is coincidental. My work has come home when somebody can listen to it on the net or from a radio station.
I did perform even but I do not prefer that.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles ?
It would kill me to have principles or prefer one/several styles. Curiosity rules.
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
It depends. Sometimes I use the keyboard or the guitar as sound sources, but mostly field recordings of my own. I love simple equipment like the mini disc and cheap microphones I can lose or crash and replace without getting ruined.
My technical equipment is as simple but I use really good oudspeakers and headphones for listening and bought a quality sound card as well.
6. What are the chances of New Media for the music production in general and you personally?
Music production will increase immensely through new media. New media will make public what has been and is going on in the creative field of sound and music.
7.How about producing and financing your musical productions?
All by my own. This makes me independent and keeps me away from the art worlds “bad business”. Generally I prefer net / mp3 labels for distribution.
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collective?
So far individually, but I cannot find a reason not to join a group for a project i.e.
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
In considering curiosity, experimenting spirit and artistic courage I can nominate among others: Marcel Duchamp, the fluxus movement and John Cage, above those all the programming people working hard on software solutions I am using some of.
10.What are your future plans or dreams as a soundartist or musician?
Keep on working, no dreams (no disappointments) and that my next project make me feel the most important one I ever get involved with.