Interview: 10 questions
1. When did you start making music, what is/was your motivation to do it?
I started to make music, when i got my first PC. I used to use all sort of trackers software. Good times….
2. Tell me something about your living environment and the musical education.
I live in Kraków for over 9 years. I finished Sound Engineery and Sound Directory. When it goes about my musical education, i can play piano (poorly), and i finished primary music school.
3.Is making music your profession? What is the context in which you practice music nowadays?
My work is tightly connected with music. Now I’m main sound engineer in Krakow Opera. I’m also a freelance music producer. I create music to every sort of web applications. Flash games, www sites, videos, and so on.
Although the music I make for myself, has nothing to do nor with Opera, nor with any commercial stuff i do.
I’ve decided some time ago, that U have to divide music U make in two groups. One is the one which bring money, the other is the real thing.
4. How do you compose or create music or sound? Have you certain principles, use certain styles etc?
I try to approach to music composition differently each time. Of course it isn’t possibile in 100%, because everyone has it’s own style and it’s very hard to broke some patterns that were created in our minds during the years, but I try to do so after all. Lately I try to do separate my projects. Each one is based on some dominating concept, and I try to keep it hearible. I hate idea of choosing style before starting to produce, for example, only electro, or deep house. This is more like some manufacturing, rather then art activity..
5. Tell me something about the instruments, technical equipment or tools you use?
Sometimes I use some sort of sound toys. I have few hardware synths, but mostly I concentrate on software possibilities. Main DAV I use is, of course, Ableton Live. I use it because it’s very flexible, neutral and intuitional. Also I use Sonic Birth, which is a open source visual programing environment (similar to max msp). I create my own patches like synths, effects or sequencers, and use them together witch live. (I’m waiting for live 8, because the fusion of live and max mps will be most entertaining ) I also use Quartz Composer to combine my music witch graphics.
6. What are the chances of New Media for the music production in general
and you personally?
7. How about producing and financing your musical productions?
Everything goes from my pocket. I have never sold any of my track, they free to download. So everything, producing, composing, mastering is made by me. There is no way to sell non comercial music in Poland …. yet
8. Do you work individually as a musician/soundartist or in a group or collaborative? If you have experience in both, what is the difference, what do you prefer?
Until few weeks ago, so, for over 10 years I worked only by myself. But recently I decided to try playing with band. We’ll see where it’ll goes
9. Is there any group, composer, style or movement which has a lasting influence on making music?
Of course there is. In fact lots of them. Today there is no way to stay without eny influence from someone. The thing is, to see the thin boarder which separates influence from ripping off.
10. What are your future plans or dreams as a soundartist or musician?
No plans !!! Just former coincidences, and optional incidents leading straight to great success !! ;